In 1834, Poisson asks for the foundation of a professorship in Probability OR in Mathematical Physics at the University of Paris, as an extra position to the ones already decided by Napoleon in 1808.
ince the begining of the XIXth century, under the impulsion of first rate scientists as Laplace, Fourier and Poisson, the two aforementioned disciplines had known a remarkable development which made necessary to complete the teaching programs. Prime Minister Guizot decides the foundation of the Professorship in Calculus of Probability and places his friend Libri as first owner. When Louis-Philippe regime falls during the 1848 revolution, he is destituted. In 1850, refusing to create a new position for Mathematical Physics and taking into account the bad reputation of Probability in the mathematical community, the Government decides to transform the former position into a Professorship in Calculus of probability AND Mathematical Physics
owned in turn by Lamé, Boussinesq and Poincaré. In 1921, Borel
s elected as new owner and it is under his period, and also his successor Fréchet's period that the part of probability, quite light before, will considerably grow in French university. After the events in 1968, Edgar Faure, minister for National Education decides to suppress the system of professorships and to replace them by Research and Teaching Units (UER) including several independent entities (or laboratories).The last owner of the historical position,Fortet,
obtains after a tough fight the creation of such an entity for his discipline abd this is how, in 1960, is created Unit 007 of the CNRS, the Laboratoire de Probabilités of University Paris VI-Jussieu with him as first director.. When he retires in 1980, Neveu takes the succession, then Jacod in 1989 and Bertoin in 2001.
In 1998, the "Laboratoire de Probabilités" of Paris VI merged with the "Probabilité and Statistique" team of Paris VII to form the UMR 7599 or Laboratoire de Probabilités et Modélisation Aléatoire, directed by D. Picard.